Design is ubiquitous in New York City this week with the inaugural NYCxDESIGN, which includes over 200 events at venues throughout the city. Whether at home, at work, or some ...
MoMA Design Store selected a group of designers living and working in NYC's five boroughs to participate in the 11th event in Destination NYC after an open call last May. The Museum has been working closely with the group to find domestic manufacturing for their products for a collection slated to be the largest of all Destination: Design series.
“In New York City, we are fortunate to be surrounded by design that represents a wide range of backgrounds, ideas, and passions,” says Paola Antonelli, Senior Curator of Architecture and Design and Director of Research and Development, The Museum of Modern Art. “We're thrilled to offer a direct connection to these designers through Destination: NYC, and hope the project will inspire both New Yorkers and guests to think critically about innovative design and its role in our everyday life.”
"We've been a longtime champion of local design and have scouted talent in our own backyard since the MoMA Design Store's earliest days," said Kathy Thornton-Bias, President of MoMA's Retail Division. "We've never been more impressed with the creativity and innovation happening today in the five boroughs and wanted to emphasize the city’s talents with a dedicated product collection."
To develop the final offerings, the MoMA Design Store is working collaboratively with a Design Jury whose members include:
· Paola Antonelli
· Ayse Birsel, Designer, Fulbright Scholar, Cooper-Hewitt Museum National Design Awards finalist, and recipient of the 2001 Young Designer Award from the Brooklyn Museum of Art
· Calvin Tsao, President Emeritus of the Architectural League of New York
· Duro Olowu, Fashion designer, Recipient of the New Designer of the Year Award during the 2005 British Fashion Awards
· Emily Glasser, Founder and owner of CAMA Products, LLC
· Emmanuel Plat, Director of Merchandising for MoMA's retail division.
The Destination: NYC product collection will be available in MoMA Design Stores in New York City and Tokyo and at MoMAstore.org, MoMAonlinestore.co.kr, and MoMAstore.jp beginning in May 2013.